In 1868 the church was abandoned and became a roofless ruin until 1917 when it was put into repair. The last restoration took place in 1951. The choir is the oldest part, from the middle of the 13th century. According to an inscription in the chancel arch the new nave was dedicated in 1287. From this time originate the ornamental paintings and the fragmentary figure of the archangel Gabriel (from an Annunciation scene). The "passion master" has painted an only partly preserved frieze with scenes from the legend of St Olav: the saint punishes himself for breaking the sabbath through burning in his hand the chips he has just been whittling. The retable on the high altar is a remarkable Gotlandic work, perhaps procured already for the dedication of the nave. Among the symbolic figures on the Byzantios font we find the Thorn-extractor (see Tingstäde); the painting of the font was done in the 1780:ies.
Photo Hans Hemlin
Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg
©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm