The Churches of Gotland

STENKUMLA

Remains of a 12th century church form part of the present building. This oldest church was provided with the present gallery tower at the beginning of the 13th century; it was added to in connection with the building of the nave about 1300. This was a continuation of a choir erected about 1250, which was then modernized, with among other things a big Gothic window. In this and a couple of other windows there are some medieval ornamental stained glass panes left. In the choir vault there are simple ornaments in the diagonals and-very seldom seen in mural paintings-a crucifix on a ring cross, from about 1350. The same date is applicable to the apostles on the eastern choir wall. The nave was decorated about 1450 by the "Passion master". The remarkable Holy Rood has belonged to the 12th century church but was transferred to a new cross in the 13th century. Christ wears shoes, a very rare detail, possibly of oriental origin. The altar-piece from the 1670:ies was painted by Johan Bartsch in 1681.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm