The Churches of Gotland

RUTE

The church was built during the second half of the 13th century and has been ascribed to Lafrans; the gallery tower was the last unit to be finished about 1280. The graceful vault paintings belong in their later form to this date. The "Passion master" painted his usual series on the northern wall, and on the southern there are some scenes from the legend of St Catherine of Alexandria. The altar piece is from the Danish era. The Holy Rood and the font were both made about 1260.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm