The little 13th century church, the tower of which was never built, shows plain traces of the ravages it has undergone at hostile invasions: it was burnt by the Swedes in 1565 during the Nordic Seven-year war, whereat all medieval fittings were destroyed, and sacked by the Russians in 1715 and 1717. In a grave in the church yard lie the German seamen who fell on board the cruiser Albatross, when she was compelled by superior Russian forces to run ashore near the fishing village of Herrvik in Östergarn in 1915.
Photo Hans Hemlin
Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg
©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm