The tower is the oldest part of the church, erected about 1200. It was then lower and crowned with battlements; it belonged to a 12th century church, now altogether disappeared. The choir was built at the end of the 13th century and was followed about 1340 by the nave, a work by the master builder "Egypticus", who gave it one of his most splendid portals with a monumental representation of the Resurrection and the Women at the Tomb. He has also made the grotesque and enigmatic corbel sculptures in the interior, with original paint on them. The church has one of the "Passion master's" most comprehensive decorations from the mid-fifteenth century, never over-plastered. It comprises, besides the Passion of Christ, St George and St Martin and (in the choir) an exhaustive rendering of the legend of St Catharine of Alexandria.
Photo Hans Hemlin
Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg
©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm