The Churches of Gotland

LYE

The middle part of the church, the flat ceilinged nave, remain from the oldest church, from the end of the 12th century. To this belonged the sandstone reliquary with reliefs by Sighraf, which is built beside the west portal. In the first half of the 13th century the gallery tower was erected and, a hundred years later, the high choir with its richly sculptured portal by"Egypticus".The interior shows several interesting contributions from different periods. When the choir was finished it was provided with paintings by the "Egypticus-painter", a Christ enthroned and the characteristic dragons, and at the same time the choir windows were filled with stained glass panes, which remain almost totally undamaged and are the finest in Gotland from the Gothic period. In the nave the "Passion master" was at work in the 15th century, and to the west of the portal on the southern wall there is a fragmentary painting from the 16th century. The magnificent altar shrine with paintings on the back of the wings is a Lübeck work, donated in 1496 by John Mannegarde (being a still existing farm in the parish); perhaps the Holy Rood, too, was included in the donation.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm