The Churches of Gotland

LOJSTA

The choir and the nave were built in the mid-thirteenth century, but the Gothic gallery tower was erected at the beginning of the next. On that occasion an old tower was pulled down and the framework of its portals was moved to the new tower. When choir and nave were finished they were decorated with frolicsome ornamental paintings. The figure suite above the chancel arch was executed by the "Egypticus painter" about 1350. Christ enthroned is represented flanked by St. Peter and St. Paul, St. Margaret and St. Michael, both triumphing over their gruesome dragons. The "Passion master" painted his series on the northern wall of the nave about 1430-50, and on the southern wall there are fragments of a decoration by the "Master of 1520". The altar piece is in itself a retable from the 14th century, but the paintings are altogether new, from 1896.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm