The Churches of Gotland

LINDE

The church is as a whole a Romanesque building but erected in stages: first the apsidial choir, then the nave and, in the mid thirteenth century, the tower. The nave portal has an eagle capital, that could have been done by "Calcarius". The mural paintings are so disfigured by restoration that they practically have lost all antiquarian interest. The "Passion master" has rendered the story of the women gossiping in church (see Bäl). The real treasure of the church is the altar piece, dated 1521 and signed "G.W.K." It was donated by a farmer of the parish and his wife, whose portraits are painted on the base of the shrine.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm