The Churches of Gotland

HOGRÄN

The tower is a remnant of a 12 th century church, from which some facade reliefs have been preserved in the southern wall of the present church from about 1300. The lofty nave and the light chancel combine to shape a magnificent room. The altar piece was procured in 1634 by the dean Hans Nilsøn Strelow, known as the author of the first real history of Gotland "Chronica Guthilandorum", edited in Copenhagen in 1633. From the oldest church the Rood and the baptismal font by "Byzantios" have survived. The pulpit was made in 1637 and painted by Johan Bartsch the Y. in 1674. In the 17th century choir-stall the front of a medieval bench has been fitted.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm