The Churches of Gotland

HÖRSNE

An apsidial church was built in the 12th century, without a tower; its fundaments have been found under the floor. To this a tower, the present, was added about 1200. A new chancel was erected at the end of the 12th century, and the followed, in the first part of the 13th the big nave with its sumptuous portal, a work by "Egypticus". The sculptures give an apocalyptical vision: on the gable St Michael rides with shield and mace, on the capitals we find Johannes, the author of the Book of Revelation, and scenes from that book: the Apocalyptical Woman in different shapes and the Dragon-fight of St Michael. In the south chancel window there are remnants of the stained glass panes of the church from the 14th century. In the altar piece from 1701 a suite of figures from 14th century altar shrine have been fitted in. The pulpit is a work from 1688 by Jochim Sterling and the pews belong to the 17th and 18th centuries

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm