The Churches of Gotland

HALLA

Of the oldest church the nave, from about 1200, remains,built of finely cut limestone ashlars. On one of the portal stones is a relief showing a mounted warrior very much reminiscent of some reliefs in Grötlingbo by Sighraf. The tower is somewhat later, and the Gothic chancel was erected about 1350; its portal shows the same variation between stylized and naturalistic foliage as the Boge portal. Of the wall paintings by the "Passion master" in the chancel only fragments are left, but two well preserved apostles by him are to be seen on the inside of the cupboard doors in the eastern wall. The other paintings, representing among other things St George and St Martin, were executed at the beginning of the 16th century. The baroque painting in the ceiling of the nave, representing the Last Judgement, is dated 1697. The font is a well preserved work of the "Hegwald group".

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm