The Churches of Gotland

GERUM

At the end of the 13th century a rebuilding of an ancient church was begun and the nave was already built, but the tower had to be left unfinished and the 12th century chancel with its apse is still standing. This perhaps was an outcome of the civil war between Visby and the countryside in 1288. The interior is beautiful with its painted decorations: the ornaments in the rood arch were after the completion of the nave, the "Passion master" painted his friezes round the nave about 1450 and the luxuriant acanthus foliage in the apse is dated 1771, having its counterpart in the decoration of the panelwork dividing the nave from the tower. Singularly well preserved is the baptismal font by the 12th century master "Majestatis" (Magister Majestatis Domini), who also worked at the cathedral in Lund. The Rood originates from the workshop of the master of the Viklau Madonna. The altar piece was painted in 1667 and the pulpit was made in 1699.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm