The Churches of Gotland

GANTHEM

The church a completely Romanesque building, though constructed in stages from east to west, beginning with the apse at the end of the 12th century and ending with the tower about 1250. Beside the portal of the nave is a relief with a half length picture of a man holding a staff, perhaps the pilgrim apostle James. The colourful painting series on the north wall of the nave by the "Passion master" has never been covered by plaster; the paintings on the south side were uncovered in 1967. The baptismal font from the middle of the 1 2th century belongs to the "Hegwald group" (see Etelhem). The Rood from about 1200 has some connection with the workshop of the master of the Viklau Madonna. Note in the vertex of the chancel vault a "sound pot" (see Akebäck). The altar piece is a copy from 1907 of the 14th century retable, which was sold in 1900 to the Historical Museum in Stockholm.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm