The Churches of Gotland

FOLLINGBO

The tower and the nave are good examples of the technically perfect, plain and unadorned architecture in ashlar masonry which developed in Gotland about 1200 under the influence and co-operation of skilled monks from the cistercian convent in Roma. A new church was planned at the end of the 13th century but only the high chancel was built with a richly ornamented portal, uncommon in Gotlandic architecture, and finely profiled chancel arch. A rarity of another kind is the big decorated baroque ceiling from the 1690 s which has its only Gotlandic counterpart in the church of Halla. The pulpit has belonged to the chapel of the castle Visborg; the portraits of the evangelists were painted after it was brought here in 1684. The paintings on the breast of the organ gallery were made by Johan Weller 1771-72.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm