The Churches of Gotland

ETELHEM

The northern portal of the tower probably once was the principal entrance to an older church, almost totally disappeared, and the sandstone lion (12th century) beside the south portal is supposed to have formed part of that portal. The tower was erected at the beginning of the 13th century, the nave and chancel together about 1300. The baptismal font from the 12th century is famous in Gotlandic stone sculpture history. About 1910 an art historian read the name "Hegwaldr" on it and took it to be the artist's signature, and many fonts in this "wild style" are still going under his name, in spite of the fact that a runic inscription on it recently has been interpreted and tells us that "Hegwald had the font made". Thus he was the donator of the font, not the artist. Some stained glass panes have been preserved in the chancel windows. The Holy Rood is from the end of the 14th century. In about 1450 the "Passion master" was at work here. The pulpit, made by the Visby joiner Jochim Sterling is dated 1648.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm