The Churches of Gotland

ENDRE

From the small ashlars-constructed 12th century church only the tower remains, to which the present bell storey was added in the 14th century. Old building material with fragmentary reliefs (a dragon, a lion) form part of the nave facade. The present church was built in three stages from 1200 to 1300. About 1350 an inclusorium (see Atlingbo) was built on the south side of the tower and a corresponding chapel on the north side. In the latter the 12th century font with its remarkable cover from the 13th century was placed at the restoration of the church in 1916. In the chancel windows some stained glass panes are true 13th century; the new ones from 1916 mark themselves off through their harder and colder colours. A prominent work of art is the 12th century rood, originating from the workshop of the master of the Viklau Virgin. The Gotlandic art of the 15th century is as usual represented by the "Passion master". The pews were painted in the style of Jean Berain as late as 1744.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm