Once upon a time the church was one of probably many stave-churches (built
of vertical planks) from the 1 1th century. At a restoration in 1916 quite
a number of wall planks were found used as floor boards, some of them with
Russo-Byzantine paintings from about 1200 (now in the Historical Museum,
Stockholm). The present chancel and nave were homogeneously built in the
mid-thirteenth century; the tower was added about 1300. In the chancel and
round the chancel arch there are ornamental paintings from about 1250, and
the "Passion master" made one of his most comprehensive decorations
about 1450. Singulary well-preserved is the baptismal font, sculptured at
the end of the 12th century by master Sighraf, leader of a big stone-cutting
workshop with extensive font exports to countries all around the Baltic.
On a side-altar stands a statue of the Virgin from about 1500. The beautifully
flower-decorated pews date, like the pulpit, from the 18th century.
Photo Hans Hemlin
Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg
©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm