The Churches of Gotland

BUTTLE

The church has essentially preserved its Romanesque character; its oldest parts, the west section of the chancel and the nave belong to the second part of the 12th century. The big windows were taken up in the 19th century. The decoration of the rood arch was made in the 13th century, and on the walls are fragmentary friezes of paintings from the 15th century by the "Passion-master". On the altar there is a North-German shrine about 1400. The font from the mid-thirteenth century is decorated on the base with three energetically sculptured heads, a warrior, a king and a beast. The pulpit from the early 18th century was decorated by the studious church painter Johan Weller in 1780.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm