The Churches of Gotland

BJÖRKE

The little church was built in stages: the oldest part is the west section of the chancel (which earlier had en apse); then, about the middle of the 13th century the present nave was built. A west tower was planned but never constructed; instead the chancel was augmented eastwards in mid-thirteenth century. To the old church belonged the fine Rood, which has some connection with the workshop led by the master of the famous Viklau Virgin (about 1180-1200). The pulpit (except baldachin and stair from 1745) is one of the oldest in Gotland, dated 1594.

Photo Hans Hemlin

Text Dr. Bengt G Söderberg


 Previous

 Back to map

 Next

List of the churches in alphabetical order

©1997 Created by Sören_Gannholm